Find out what it takes to be eligible for Canadian immigration and begin your clear path to Canada

Contact Us

The Canadian government allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are related to a foreign national to sponsor that person to join them and become permanent residents of Canada. Under the immigration program, Canada aims to welcome more than 400,000 new immigrants each year. Under Canada’s family sponsorship immigration program, approximately 800,000 immigrants are sought to be admitted each year under the spouse, partner, and child categories.

Spouse/Partner or Dependent Child Sponsorship

The sponsored spouse or common-law partner can work in Canada while the applicant is waiting for the permanent resident application to be processed. In addition, the dependent child must be under 21 years of age to meet the requirements. Spouses, domestic partners, common-law partners and dependent children can be sponsored by anyone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.


  1. Eligibility


For permanent residents residing outside of Canada.

– Applicants are required to return to Canada and reside in Canada in order to sponsor their partner and dependent children for a PR visa in Canada.


Canadian citizens residing outside of Canada.

– If the applicant’s family members become permanent residents, they can prove that they intend to reside in Canada and can sponsor their partner and dependent children for a permanent resident visa outside of Canada.


Same-sex marriages or cohabitation relationships.

– For a cohabitation relationship, the couple must have lived in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 consecutive months.

– For marriages occurring outside of Canada, they must be legally recognized in the country in which they occurred.

In this case, the sponsor must demonstrate that they are able to provide food, clothing and accommodation to meet basic needs. In addition, they must also show that they are financially supporting their relative and that this financial support cannot come from the government.

Eligibility for Dependent Children

Must be a single person under the age of 22

– Children who are 22 years of age or older need to prove that they were financially dependent on their parents prior to the age of 22 and are unable to be financially self-sufficient due to their physical or mental condition in order to qualify as a dependent.

– Once your application is received by Immigration Canada or the provincial government, the child’s age is locked in so they are not disqualified due to the processing time required for a visa.

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship

The Parent or Grandparent Program has its own submission period, which is generally January of each year for new applicants. The application period after the Minister of Immigration announces the new quota will be stated. Therefore, it is very important to have all your documents ready in advance of applying for the program or you will have to wait until the next round, which is usually a full year. However, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply for a parent or grandparent to be a permanent resident under the family reunification category.


In addition, the applicant must provide all relevant basic necessities to the extent possible. The applicant must also demonstrate financial support and must ensure that the applicant’s parents or grandparents do not apply for social assistance from government agencies.


Last year, Immigration Canada issued 10,000 invitations to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Guaranteed Immigrant Program and also began the PGP lottery system. The PGP lottery system has been criticized for downplaying the sensitive nature of family reunification. The Canadian government had accepted applications for the program on a “first-come, first-served” basis, and its fairness was questioned. The introduction of a lottery system was seen as fairer to applicants who did not have a geographical or economic advantage.


  1. Eligibility

The guarantor must meet the following criteria.

– Live in Canada (outside of Quebec)

– Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident at least 18 years of age

– The income required for tax filing at the time of application has been met for three consecutive years and is determined by the size of the family, including the parent(s) to be sponsored


The insured person must meet the following requirements.

– A parent, adoptive parent, stepparent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

– A successful applicant will become a permanent resident of Canada

– The parent’s children under the age of 22 can travel with them


2. Application Period

– Approximately 20 to 24 months


3. Application Process


Step 1: Submit a Letter of Intent on the USCIS website

– Applicants submit a letter of intent to sponsor parent reunification on the USCIS website.


Step 2: Lottery, USCIS Issues Invitation Letter

– USCIS conducts a lottery and issues an invitation letter to the successful applicant.


Step 3: Submit Complete Information

– Pass the screening process and receive an invitation letter (ITA) from USCIS to assist the applicant in completing a pre-screening.


Step 4: Pass the screening process and mail the Maple Leaf Card

– The application is reviewed by USCIS and a Maple Leaf Card is mailed to the applicant.


4. Super Visa

– The Canadian government also offers a Super Visa for parents and grandparents in the event that a sponsored immigration application cannot be made. This is a multiple-entry visa that is valid for up to 10 years.

Conditional Permanent Residency

When you are granted conditional permanent residency, you have the same rights and privileges as permanent residents. You can work or study in Canada without a permit, seek social services and obtain health insurance, and leave or return to Canada. In addition, there are protections for victims of abuse or abandonment.


For more information on all other Canada Immigration Programs, please contact Simard & Associates, we are a team of experienced immigration consultants who have worked with numerous families and applicants in a variety of Canadian immigration programs, providing one-stop immigration consulting services that make it easy for you to live in Canada.