Jaffe Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong    +852 2169 0388

Hong Kong Student Visa Process

For foreign students who want to study in Hong Kong but does not have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong.

Eligibility for Student Visa

To qualify for this type of Student Visa for Hong Kong, the applicant should not have any criminal records.  He/she must have been accepted into a full-time course by a Private School that is registered under the Education Ordinance (Cap. 279); and whom must proof that he/she can meet the course fees and living expenses without work.

Please note that the eligibility criteria may be subjected to change from time to time.


Would you like us to check your eligibility for Student Visa?

Please get in touch with us and our experts will guide you!

Documents to be submitted by the Applicant:

  • Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (ID995A)
  • Your recent photograph (affixed on page 2 of the application form ID 995A)
  • Photocopy of your valid travel document
  • Photocopy of your Hong Kong identity card (if any)
  • A letter of acceptance from the education institution
  • One of your parents should authorize the sponsor or his/her relative/friend in the HKSAR to be your guardian. A consent letter duly signed by both the guardian and one of your parents should be produced (if you are under the age of 18)
  • Photocopy of proof of your accommodation arrangement (if you are under the age of 18)
  • Photocopy of proof of your financial support, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips (if the sponsor is the education institution)

Processing Time

After receiving the necessary paperwork, a visa or entry permit application for study is typically processed in six weeks. The application cannot begin processing until all the necessary paperwork and information have been submitted to the Immigration Department.

The Immigration Department evaluates and processes each application. Applications are approved at the sole discretion of the government and are subject to policy changes. Even if an application meets all eligibility requirements, the Director of Immigration retains complete power to reject the application.

Entry of Dependants

Applicants admitted for study (in full-time undergraduate or post-graduate local programmes in local degree-awarding institutions) may apply to bring in their spouse or the other party to a same-sex civil partnership, same-sex civil union, “same-sex marriage”, opposite-sex civil partnership or opposite-sex civil union entered into by him/her in accordance with the local law in force of the place of celebration and with such status being legally and officially recognised by the local authorities of the place of celebration Note 5, and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18 to the HKSAR under the prevailing dependant policy. Persons admitted or applying for admission for study will be the sponsors of their accompanying dependants to the HKSAR. An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:

  1. There is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the dependant and the sponsor;
  2. There is no known record to the detriment of the dependant; and
  3. The sponsor is able to support the dependant’s living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR.

This entry arrangement does not apply to:

  1. Former Mainland Chinese residents residing in the Macao SAR who have obtained Macao identity cards for less than seven years, unless they have acquired residence in the Macao SAR through the One-way Permit Scheme; and
  2. Nationals of Afghanistan and North Korea .

Such dependants will normally be granted an initial stay of 12 months upon entry which is subject to annual extension upon application. Such application will be considered only when the applicant continues to meet the eligibility criteria for entry for residence as dependants (including that there is no change in circumstances which would have otherwise resulted in loss of sponsorship for the applicant, e.g. change in marriage relationship between the dependent spouse and the sponsor, or death of sponsor) and the sponsor remains a bona fide Hong Kong resident living in the HKSAR. Under the existing policy, while dependants whose sponsors have been admitted into the HKSAR for study may take up study in the HKSAR, they are prohibited from taking up employment in the HKSAR unless they have obtained prior permission from the Director of Immigration.

Please note that the eligibility criteria may be subjected to change from time to time.

4-Step Application Process


Book an appointment  for a detailed assessment and consultation  with our Immigration Specialist.


Based on the initial consultation and your profile, we will give you our reviews and advise you about the best option for your immigration needs.


Once you’re ready to proceed, we will prepare all necessary documents & complete the application and submit to Hong Kong Immigration.


We follow up and reply to inquiries coming from Hong Kong Immigration until the approval of the case. After approval, we deliver the visa to you.

Other Hong Kong Immigration Programs


If you are qualified for this program and want us to review your profile, please contact us below.


If you are qualified for this program and want us to review your profile, please contact us below.


Want to Request a Consultation?

Please fill in the inquiry form below and our consultant will get in touch with you!

Request For Consultation EN