Find out what it takes to be eligible for Canadian immigration and begin your clear path to Canada

Contact Us

Before you immigrate to Canada, do you know that there are plenty of things you need to do beforehand? Many of them require early planning and careful consideration. Today, Simard & Associates will share with you!

1: Tax Clearance

According to Hong Kong tax regulations, all taxpayers must notify the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) no later than one month prior to their expected departure date if they decide to leave Hong Kong. However, the Inland Revenue Department will decide whether you need to clear your taxes. Under normal circumstances, the employee is required to notify the employer that he/she is preparing to leave Hong Kong and the employer will notify the IRS. From the day the employer notifies the IRS, the employer is not allowed to pay the employee during the month.

However, the IRS will issue a tax return for the employee to fill out. After the employee has completed and paid all taxes, the IRS will issue a “Consent Release”. Whenever the employer receives this consent letter, the employee can be paid. On the other hand, if the employer fails to notify the IRS, it is the employee’s responsibility to notify the IRS.

2: Application for International Driving Permit + Application Form for Submission of Driving Permit Details [TD320].

If you have a Hong Kong driver’s license, remember to apply for an international driver’s license. You can use it for a few months when you first arrive in Canada, but you must obtain a Canadian driver’s license within a specified period of time.

3: Prepare a Canadian mailing address

There are many procedures in Canada that require you to provide a Canadian mailing address. For example, you will need to open a bank account, apply for mobile phone service, and get a car license.

The most important thing is that when you arrive in Canada, the immigration department will confirm your address and send you a PR card. In general, the PR card will be sent to you in a few months, so the address you provide must be a safe and secure address. If you have not yet found a place to live permanently, you may need to borrow a friend’s or relative’s address as a temporary mailing address.

However, in addition to proving that you are a permanent resident, if you need to leave Canada in the future, you may be refused entry if you do not have your PR card with you when you next enter the country.

4: Open a Bank Account in Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you will need to open a bank account. However, some banks will check your Canadian credit history and you will need to meet their requirements before you can open an account.

However, if you have not lived in Canada before and do not have a Canadian credit history, you may have difficulty opening an account. The most a bank can do is open a savings account for you. There are restrictions on these accounts, such as only a few transactions per month, and you will be charged for each subsequent transaction. If possible, Simard & Associates would recommend that you find a bank that has offices in Hong Kong so that you can open an account in Hong Kong and arrange for remittances more easily.

5: Finding a job

Getting to know the Canadian job market early will definitely help you find a suitable job in the future. First, you can go online and find out what the requirements are for your type of work in Canada. For example, your industry may require certain certifications in Canada. If time allows, you can get the certification in Hong Kong first.

6: Finding Housing

Looking for housing is the same as looking for a job. You need to know that the cost of housing varies depending on your province or city. So you need to understand all the information about different location. There are also different types of housing in Canada, and each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. These are all things you need to know in advance. In addition, the sooner you know how to apply for a home loan and whether it will be difficult for new immigrants to be approved, the better.

7: Prepare Accompanied List + Goods to Follow List

When you arrive in Canada, you need to provide two lists to customs. One is the Accompanied list, and the other is the Goods to follow list, which lists the items you brought with you to Canada this time, and the Goods to follow list lists the items you brought with you afterwards, including the items you shipped or brought in person afterwards.

Each list should clearly list the name, brand and price of each item. If you have electrical appliances, you must list the serial numbers. If some items are not listed on the list, customs may impose a tax on the item. It is important to note that the customs may not ask you to provide these two lists, so you will need to give them to them in person, as the customs will need to stamp them.

8: Find a Logistics Company

It is best to look for a logistics company that is specialized for immigrant to Canada because they have more experience. If you do not have your own place in Canada yet, you can look for a logistics company that can provide storage. The process of each logistics company may not be the same, so it is important to know more about them before making a decision. However, it is important to note that the sender and the recipient must be the same person.

9: Bring all the "Proof of Life Experience"

If you have children, you must remember to bring all vaccination records, birth certificates, academic certificates or certificates that you have obtained. Also, make sure that the documents are written in English or French.

Canadian family doctors and schools take their children’s vaccination records very seriously. When looking for a school for your child, you can save yourself some trouble by presenting some transcripts and relevant certificates. Of course, don’t forget your own documents, such as your birth certificate, marriage certificate, proof of employment, or letter of recommendation from your company.

10: Consider your Health Insurance

Canadian medical costs are relatively expensive, so it is best to apply for a local health insurance plan as soon as you arrive in Canada.

11: Handling your mobile phone contract in Hong Kong

When you plan to leave Hong Kong, you may have to cancel your mobile phone service. But if you want to keep your mobile phone number, you may choose to switch to the cheapest service plan or switch the plans, which you must do in person.

12. Screening Items for Shipment

When shipping items to Canada, many people plan to ship all of their belongings, jewelry, furniture and appliances that have grown up with them since they were little. However, we would like to remind you that the elegance of Canada is different from that of Hong Kong, and the plugs are also different, so we suggest you to check if your home appliances are suitable for Canada.

13: Terminate the Water/Electricity/Gas Account

No matter you are a landlord or tenant in Hong Kong, remember to terminate your water/electricity/gas account before you leave Hong Kong. If you have a deposit, remember to get it back.

Follow Simard & Associates for more immigration information

These are the things you must do before you immigrate to Canada. Simard & Associates is a team of experienced immigration consultants who have worked with numerous families and applicants to complete various Canadian immigration programs and provide one-stop immigration consulting services to make your life in Canada easier.