New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP) – Entrepreneurial Stream
Why Choose New Brunswick, Canada?
Located on the east coast of Canada under Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula, New Brunswick (NB) is home to one of the country’s most beautiful provinces. The historic and modern architecture of its cities combined with the natural beauty found in the majestic rivers, rolling farmlands, picturesque forests, spectacular valleys and magnificent rocky pinnacles create a peaceful yet sophisticated atmosphere for those looking for a new home. The breathtaking autumn foliage, wildflowers in the spring and an exquisite white coat of snow during the winter transform the scenery every season. Transition into a more relaxing, healthy and affordable lifestyle with New Brunswick’s impressive natural surroundings, lively urban centers, low cost of living, quality healthcare, first-rate education system, and easy accessibility. As Canada’s only officially bilingual province with more than two-thirds of the population speaking English, those looking to immigrate to Canada can easily integrate with the warm, close-knit community.
About the New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP)
One of the ways to immigrate to New Brunswick is through the New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP), an economic immigration program targeting experienced entrepreneurs who are ready to establish, operate, and actively manage a business while living and settling in the province permanently. To apply for the New Brunswick Entrepreneurial Stream, applicants must meet the minimum eligibility requirements for age, language, education, personal net worth, business ownership and management experience before submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). An applicant will then be assigned a score based on the eligibility requirements. The highest-ranked candidates will be invited to submit an application for a provincial nomination under the NBPNP, where they can submit a full application online. Although there are no fees associated with the submission of an EOI, there is a processing fee of CAD2,000 that must be paid prior to submitting the online application.
In order to be eligible for the Entrepreneurial Stream under the NBPNP, individuals must meet the following requirements:
- Age: 21-59 years of age
- Language: Minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 or equivalent for English or French
- Education: Minimum two-year post-secondary education degree, diploma or certificate after high school
- Personal net worth: At least CAD500,000
- Business requirements: Established as a sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation that is considered a “permanent establishment” as defined by the Canadian Income Tax Regulations
- Investment: Make an eligible investment of no less than CAD150,000 before tax or control at least 33.3% equity in the business
- Management experience: At least three out of five years of experience as a business owner (of at least 33.3%) or have five years out of the last five years of experience in a senior business management role or higher supervising at least two employees
- Demonstrate an intention to live and operate a business in New Brunswick: Reside in New Brunswick 75% of the time of your Business Establishment Period
- Applicants must assume an active day-to-day management role in the business and create at least one full-time job for a permanent resident or citizen of Canada living in New Brunswick
- Provide a business plan demonstrating how the business will benefit New Brunswick economically and have it approved by the New Brunswick government
- Score at least 65 points on New Brunswick’s selection grid
There are 8 steps to obtain a permanent residence in Canada when applying under the NBPNP.
- PR Readiness: The applicants must be PR Ready when they apply for any of the New Brunswick’s immigration streams. Being PR Ready means more efficient processing, fewer delays and a better experience navigating the New Brunswick and Canadian immigration.
- Online registration: Applicants have to create an online candidate profile with the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour (PETL) of New Brunswick.
- Express of Interest (EOI): Applicants must submit an EOI to express their interest in applying for immigration through the Entrepreneurial Stream.
- Invitation to Apply (ITA): Selected candidates will receive an ITA informing them to submit a full application online within 90 calendar days.
- Submission of provincial application to PETL: Once a complete application is submitted online and the processing fee has been paid, PETL will conduct a full review.
- Provincial application decision from PETL: The final decision from PETL will be uploaded to the online profile’s dashboard. Applicants will also receive a written copy.
- Submission of federal application: If a nomination by PETL is granted, the applicants need to submit an application for a PR visa to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office.
- Federal application decision from IRCC: If the PR application is approved, a PR visa will be issued to the applicant.
Frequently Asked Questions?
1. How long do I need to wait for before hearing back?
EOIs remain in the pool for 12 months. If a candidate does not receive an ITA within that 12 months, they can re-apply to the program.
2. What happens if I don’t end up submitting the application in time?
If you fail to submit the complete application by the deadline, your ITA will be automatically removed and you will have to start the process again. That is why it is important to have all the documents ready and at hand.
3. How long is the whole process before I can become a PR of Canada through the NBPNP entrepreneurial stream
From the moment the IRCC issues you a work permit to a nomination from the PETL, it takes approximately 2 years or more as you have to have opened your business within 9 months after arrival in Canada and operated the business for a minimum of 12 consecutive months after the business opening date before you can apply for a provincial nomination from New Brunswick.
4. Can I change my business plans or location after my application has been approved by PETL?
No. Once your application has been approved by PETL, business plans and locations cannot be changed. Your business must be operational for a minimum of 1 year and have all the terms of the Business Performance Agreement fulfilled before you can submit a request to receive a Provincial Nomination Certificate from PETL.
5. If I’m applying for other immigration options, can I still apply for this program?
No. You are no longer eligible to apply if you already have an active application registered with PETL or an immigration application in process in another province or territory in Canada. It is important to note that if you own property and, or, a business in another province or territory in Canada, you are also not eligible to apply for NBPNP.
If you are interested in learning more about the New Brunswick Entrepreneurial Stream under NBPNP to immigrate to New Brunswick, Canada or have a question regarding Canada’s entrepreneur immigration processes, contact our international immigration specialists at Simard & Associates. As an immigration specialist, we can help you with your immigration plans and provide comprehensive assistance in handling and guiding you through every step of the application process.
Read More: Becoming a Canadian Citizen: Ways to Immigrate to Canada from Hong Kong
Read More: Retiring in Canada: Social Welfare and Family Benefits